Saturday 16 November 2013

FLASHDANCE FLASH BACK

I recently just re-fell in love with 'Flashdance'.




I'm not a huge fan of the 80's; or maybe I am, but I'm very selective over which aspects I consider to be fashion moments. 

The film's story is one that I feel I can increasingly relate to: Girl has dream. Girl has to overcome struggles to reach dream. Girl debates giving up. Girl has epiphany. Girl accomplishes dream, all whilst looking fashionably fabulous. (I am yet to have expected epiphany or therefore reach my dream but any day now I'm sure...)

So anyway, synopsis over. Now to the good bit; the fashion. 

The scene, you know the one. Alex is on stage, ready to perform but it's all about the silhouette. That suit. Those sharp shoulders. That masculine shell that she peels off to reveal the skimpiest red playsuit. And then the water. Mind is blown. The end *almost*.

There's also the trip to the laundrette. Perfect in oversized grey jumper and stripey scarf just slung casually around her neck, with Jeanie in her high heels and frilly socks. Uh! I can't explain my delight and it doesn't end there. Cue the list. The scene where Alex and Jeanie are simply walking down the road, parker coat and russian hat in tow, with her Nike daps on, accompanied with red socks and navy leggings. I tell you, you could use the film's outfits as a step by step guide on how to dress chic for those winter months. I've previously posted on the trials of dressing both fashionably and weather appropriately but Alex - or should I say the costume department - have absolutely nailed it. Pink heeled pumps and yet another oversized overcoat to walk down railway tracks. Why not? (The obvious answer here is that such a thing would be incredibly dangerous, but for the purpose of the film - and my need to romanticise fashion - it acts as the perfect catwalk.) 


And the inspiration really just keeps on coming. Tina's performance costume of black cut-out crop top and matching high cut briefs has got me all excited for Christmas time dressing. I'm not saying I'll be stepping out sans trousers but the glitter, her grit, her attitude. Who says you can't be tough at Christmas anyway? I'm bored of the same old red and gold thing that magazines try to sell to us as the way to dress for Christmas-time celebrations. Bring on a bit of sexy peekaboo, black crop topped, gold chained, masculine yet sexy yule-tide fashion fun! 




Party dressing aside though, I think above all what I really love is how 'Flashdance' plays with the performative qualities of fashion. They aren't just props, they are an intrinsic part of the performance. A key element. Stripping off the layers to reveal yet more clothes, every layer getting thinner and thinner, daring the audience to watch the change in her movements as her body becomes evermore visible. 

Clothing is a part of play, and what better way to illustrate this than Alex going to the fancy dress party as a clown. Her beauty eclipsed by the borderline ridiculousness of her over the top costume. It is all about the clothing. Or when Nick and Alex go on their lavish date. Fashion in this instance becomes a tool of social subversion, an instrument of blurring gender lines. The norms are inverted as Alex sports a masculine power tux only to whip off her jacket to reveal the smallest, backless and sideless under shirt. The sexiness of this unexpected under layer is almost palpable, as she sarcastically remarks to his ex-wife: "yes I really do work as a welder". Her delicacy, coupled with the tux that almost overwhelms her tiny frame, creates an interesting dichotomy that is only saved by her 'fuck you' attitude. After all, fashion can't work alone. You, the wearer, have to make it come alive. 



As you can tell I'm having a major 'Flashdance' moment. Is getting a perm a step too far in my goal to be - I mean channel - Alex? I might just wear leg warmers to bed. Or maybe not. The oversized grey jumper/leather skirt combo is a must though. 

I feel like we can all relate to Alex. Haven't we all had those moments when we're on our arse, when it all appears bleak and hopeless. But then I think we need to remember the words of Jeanie; "I gotta tough ass". I mean aren't we all just girls trying to pirouette through life without spilling our soda? *

(*You may have to rewatch the film to get this reference but it's totally worth it.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment