Wednesday 12 March 2014

SHOPPING WITH THE BOYFRIEND

Now, this isn't a brag post. I'm not going to list the 'delights' of being one half of a twosome, with the cherry on the top being that 'gee we just love doing eeeverryythingg together.' No. On the contrary. Maybe I should have called this 'Survival' or a 'Step-by-step guide to the interiors of every fitting room in South Wales' (FYI River Island has 560 ceiling tiles and Urban Outfitters has the best array of bits to distract a bored mind - or throw at him to encourage speed.) 


(Taking clothes-sharing to a whole other level. Image from LeLove)

I'm a big fan of shopping solo. I'm also a big fan of shopping with a partner. I mean, hey, I'm just generally a huge fan of shopping. But shopping with someone else can be tricky. You have to take into account their agenda, where do they want to shop, what do they need to buy. Your shopping trip is no longer all about you, nope, today is all about we. Let the chaos begin. 

Anytime you put two people into an unstable situation, a reaction is inevitable. This is the same with the average shopping trip. It might be busy, it might be quiet, traffic might be heavy, the weather could be bad, the list goes on. Add this to the inherent minefield that shopping with your beloved is and you could find yourself secluded and saddled down alone with all of your shopping bags. To help prevent or at least prepare you for this, here's my 'Top 10 List' for shopping with the boyfriend.

1) Have you thought this through? 

Like really? 

If you answered 'yes' to both of these then proceed on your date. Surviving your first shopping trip with no major issues/injuries is the sign of a match made fo' life. 

2) Be realistic 

It's probably not the best idea to drag your bloke around when you have a very specific yet undiscovered look in mind. Going from shop to shop in search of the elusive polka dot/reversible/convertible dress to pant-suit with added heat technology, is likely to result in heavy sighing, feet dragging and a running commentary on the new and undiscovered levels of boredom the human mind can be driven to. So maybe leave the 'must have' item, that you dreamt up last night, for a day of trawling on your own. Trust me; you, him and probably your feet, will thank me for it.

3)Get an early start on the day.

There are two reasons for this. 

1- An early start means a longer shopping day. Duh!
2- Leaving early means that you have more time to get organised, avoid the mad scrabble out of the house, bypass any traffic and decrease your risk of getting vertigo from having to travel to the top floor of those annoying spiral carparks. Sounds like a win win to me. 


(Save the snoozing for the return journey. Image via LeLove)

4) Food!

This point needs to be in bold and underlined. Sometimes we forget to eat. It happens to us all. But don't make this one of those days. You need food to give you energy so that you're able to think straight. Believe me I've got a drawer full of questionable clothing bought when I've been under the influence of hunger induced delusion. But this isn't the only reason. As this post would suggest, I have a boyfriend, and this boyfriend of mine likes to eat. A LOT. There has been more near-miss tantrums caused by hunger than I think he'd care I admit. It's a misconceived idea that women carry huge handbags around purely for fashion credentials. Oh no. It's so that we can lug around all the food necessary to keep our guys quiet. My bag is like a double agent, fashion on the outside, pantry on the inside. 

5) Patience

I feel like a phoney giving advice about this one because this in particular is the one I struggle with the most. You see I take shopping very seriously. I enter a shop. I assess the layout. I proceed to plan the most efficient route around -usually in an anti-clockwise direction. I buy/don't buy something and then I leave. Trying on anything is left strictly to the confines of my home, thank you very much. 

However, for my boyfriend, he loves nothing better than to get his kit off in as many different venues as possible, trying on everything that catches his eye. He'd even try socks on if he could. I think this comes down to the inherent and inexplicable difference between men and women. For a guy: you walk in, pick something up, try it on, if it fits you buy it, if it doesn't you don't buy it. The End. And on you plod with your day. For a girl on the other hand it's a whole different story. Firstly there's the major issue of actually finding something or some things, which then leads to the fitting room (AKA the hate chamber) where you curtain yourself off into a little box of scrutiny. Usually the item looks shit and I walk away feeling bad about myself. Day ruined. 

Two things to take away from this:
1) I need chill out with my fitting room fear.
2) Maybe I could stop the foot tapping and look on the positive side: the more he tries on, the more choosey he'll be about what he buys, thus meaning that he'll be available to carry my bags. Perfect.

In all seriousness, waiting may be annoying but think of it as a small respite on an otherwise non-stop day. Maybe make a rule, anything over ten minutes and he has to buy coffee; or get a slap in the face. I'll leave it up to your discretion as to which one will be more effective. Each to their own and all that.

6) Comfort

Shopping is a test of endurance, a sport almost. I'm not suggesting it feature in the next Olympics (if it does one day feature, remember you heard it here first) but you'd be surprised how much ground you actually cover when you're on a mission, so comfortable shoes are vital. That goes for boys too. My boyfriend was once saved by my stash of blister plasters. Be warned, trainers and sock-less feet are not a good combo. If you want to wear heels to go out shopping then stomp away, you could wear dolly shoes and they'd be the most painful thing you've ever put your feet into. It's not the heel height, its the comfort level. As much as your partner loves you, I doubt they'd be willing to piggy back you around for the whole day, but by all means test it out. 


(That's one way to keep your feet from hurting. Photo by Alice Point via Cocorosa)

7) Think carefully

Are you sure you want to ask that question? Really sure?

There's the obviously dangerous questions like: "do I look fat in this?" (Definitely proceed with care for this one!) But there's also the more subtle questions that on the surface seem harmless, however, underlies a world of trouble. Here's the scenario: boyfriend picks up top and turns to you and says, "what do you think of this?" Pause. Think carefully. He might actually want your opinion and value what you have to say. On the other hand he might completely ignore your opinion, buy the top and forever after he'll know that you hate it, this is something that will haunt you every time he wears it. My advice for both these scenarios is this: You might not like the item, but they do, so keep that to yourself. What you should focus on is whether the item looks good on them. Does it suit them? Is it flattering? Everybody's different, what you like, someone else might not and vice versa. Make your points constructive. No one wants to be offended. 

8) Pay attention

Shopping trips give you a close up insight into a person's likes and dislikes. So pay attention and you'll never be stuck for a gift idea again!

9) Don't over dress

This is kind of a follow up to point number 6. It's easy to look out of the window and dress accordingly. However, retail land has its own climate completely. Wear thin layers that can easily be stripped on and off and keep bulky items to a minimum. No one wants to get a sweat on mid shopping haul. Plus if you find it a little nippy just buy yourself a cover up. Getting yourself all hot and bothered is something guys will have no sympathy for - I mean how many guys do you see braving the arctic conditions in just a vest. However when it comes to shopping I'd say to take a leaf out of their book. Just this once though. 

10) Lastly, ENJOY!! 


Clothes are great, but what's even greater is having someone who's willing to traipse around store to store with you, when really they'd rather be watching the rugby, or paint dry.


(Smiling together, heels still on feet and I'm gonna assume they're both well-fed. All things that amount to a successful shopping trip. Photo via Karla's Closet)

Now go off into that shopping emporium and live out my wise words of advice (*said in the voice of The Genie from Aladdin*) 



No comments:

Post a Comment