Sunday 5 October 2014

7 THINGS I LEARNT THIS WEEK

1: Clothes have a life of their own…


Due to lack of hang rail capacity - from an overabundance of clothes rather than an absence of space - I have always folded my knits. Little did I know how beneficial this was to the prolonging of my well-loved garments. Through the experience of my grandmother, I have discovered that when hung, the weight of the knit actually drags the jumper/cardigan down, giving it the appearance of having grown in size. When you think about it, it seems like common sense but cumon, be honest, who thinks of these things?!

(Missoni:The rainbow coloured, vertical striped, knitwear dream incarnate)

2: Coach got cool


As much as I would describe myself a fashion devotee, I'm not necessarily an avid follower of designer collections. I'm not sure if it's because I'm far removed from the upper echelons of high fashion and the big spenders or whether the sheer amount of new material that has come out of the subsequent fashion weeks of late is just overwhelming. However, when I saw the Coach SS15 collection I could not contain my excitement! I loved the kinda washed out watercolour pastels that seemed ever so slightly bleached at the edges, coupled with the vibrant pops of orange and flashes of leopard print that are set against the quirky flourish of a leather mini. The fur jackets/coats in a myriad of colours, cast over chunky knits (acknowledging the more often than not, chilly British Spring time) with equally chunky, block stacked clogs/sandals. Channeling a nostalgic 70s aesthetic, peppered with modern prints and a cool girl vibe that is just utterly imitable. I might give the one eyed lady look a miss though, purely to avoid walking into things, falling over things and generally making an arse of myself. The rest however, will find itself in my possession shortly - or at least in essence it will...
 (My inspiration for the rest of the year!
Image Via: Glamouraiblog.com)



3: Lena Dunham: Writer, Comedienne, Actress, Inspiration, Wonder Woman and now Author?!



All round funny woman and now part time life guru? Yes, Lena Dunham might just be the twenty-first century Wonder Woman. Addressing challenging subjects with a tongue in cheek approach, which rather than detracting from their serious nature acts to make these more difficult issues, more approachable. She might not be 'that kind of girl' but she sure is my kind of girl. (Check out her book's title to get the full effect of my witty play on words.) Lena's book is out now and I don't know about you but I can't wait to find out what she's 'learned'.

(Hooray for longtime real girl Lena!
Image Via: Technologytell.com)


4: The importance of morning nourishment 


They say that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, kick starting your metabolism into action for an all round healthy lifestyle. In fashion terms, a healthy wardrobe is accomplished with a frequent dosage of shopping to help replenish both your sartorial needs and enlighten your entire being. Latching on to the positive effect that both breakfast and shopping have on one's life, the fash pack have created rather a literal take on the trend, with a take on the Frosties cereal box  featuring at Anya Hindmarch and Chanel creating couture shopping baskets and foodstuffs with the brands namesake emblazoned across the front; Karl Lagerfeld and Cara Delevingne making supermarket shopping officially cool. Like they say, every aisles a runway. 

(Image Via: Expect the Unexpected
If only I looked this cool on my stroll around the aisles of Tesco…)


5:Take me to the jungle

Jeremy Scott made it acceptable to find inspiration everywhere, even in your toy box. So why wouldn't the next logical step be for Sophia Webster to channel all things 'Jungle Book'? Though not such a literal take - unfortunately Baloo didn't make an appearance and neither did Shere Khan, which is just as well really - the jungle theme was more than evident, though think techno jungle not National Geographic. Fun, florescent and totally exotic; like taking a hike on acid - not that I'm condoning drugs or citing high heels as practical walking garb, though they could act as hiking picks… 
(Party for your feet yah? 
Image Via: Shoes N Booze)


6: The need for change 


I couldn't compose a round up of the week without including Emma Watson and that speech she made during the HeForShe conference. Female prowess was completely un-ignorable as the journey toward societal equality was thrust into the media spotlight. However, on a less positive note, the sheer amount of animosity toward the movement was beyond shocking to hear. Is it possible that in this day and age for people to be so ignorant and narrow minded? Maybe it's just as well that this has all been aired out in the public sphere, highlighting the drastic need for a major adjustment in social attitude!
(Could this be the start of change? Lets hope so. 
Image Via: Sweatpants&Coffee)



7:Being Brit is like tasting the rainbow


What happens when you accidentally leave a bag of skittles in the pocket of your trench coat when taking it to be dry cleaned? Well, I'd imagine you'd end up with something very similar to the Burberry Prorsum SS15 show. Not that I'm belittling the genius that is Christopher Bailey. In a way I'm glad that I don't have a spare couple of thousand because I'd be hard done by to choose just one colour way...    
(I'll take one in each colour please. Ta
Image Via: UK Glam)

No comments:

Post a Comment