Monday 1 June 2015

IT'S ALL ABOUT THE MONEY

There's this strange thing that happens whilst I'm shopping online. 
(Does money maketh the outfit?)

You should know that I despise shopping online. I'm a tactile shopper. I love to touch and fondle fabrics, to hold potential purchases to my body and play pretend, to hook them over my arm and wander through the store, umming and ahhing as to which will make the cut. Scrolling through reams of pictures, perfect in their staged digital presence, quickly becomes monotonous to me. 

However, occasionally boredom creeps in and the expanse of sartorial temptation that the internet offers becomes far too much. I fill my basket just because, then promptly forget about my imaginary purchases. They filled the void of time that needed filling and then it's back to the reality of my over-stuffed wardrobe. 
(Plaid & Sequins make for eternal cool regardless of price range)

But that's not the 'strange thing' that happens. I find that when I'm searching the likes of ASOS or Urban Outfitters et al the main thing that draws me to an item is the price point. I'll explain the process. I see an item I like, click the thumbnail, then my eyes immediately flick to the price. My appreciation of the item is wholly dependent on the price reflecting quality, namely that of good quality, which translates as whether the item is expensive, or at least not cheap. 

Perhaps it's the fact that online shopping requires a level of trust that in this day and age is a rarity not often required in any other pastime (yes I would describe shopping as a pastime). To judge a book solely upon it's cover, to take an item purely upon face value and hand over cash based on this presumption. 
(High-end & Low-end is mix & matched)

There is nothing I love more than a bargain, apart from perhaps finding a real bargain. I mean an item that has such a severe saving as to have been reduced from the price of a mortgage deposit to that of a happy meal. It increases its desirability exponentially. Not only are you shelling out less than a Starbucks grande latte but you're getting quality for a fraction of the price. When I spy earrings for example online, the price informs me of what condition to expect when they arrive. It offers a clue and to that end my level of expectation is adjusted.

But there is a flip side to this also. There have been times when faced with the rails and rails of odds at TKMaxx that I find myself almost convinced into buying something purely because it's a name brand at a low price point. I once tried to reconcile myself into believing that I needed this florescent green cable knit jumper under the pretence of never having too many jumpers - I live in Wales after all. It was only after I regained my wits about me that I realised that the driving force behind this uncharacteristically bold knit may have had something to do with Ralph (of the Lauren family) being found on the tag. In this instance the reason behind it's reduction was glaringly obvious. I then proceeded to bump my car, so it truly was a day of misjudgements.   
(Counterbalance a barley-there slip with thick knitwear for a thrifty take on understated glamour)

It's a tricky one. Do you pay more money because you assume the price must mean that the item is worthy of it? And in that same vein, do you purchase items that are marked down but bear a designer name for the same exact reason? Or, do you buy according to your own personal preference, regardless of price point and solely upon your own sartorial proclivities?  
(A sparkly shirt & jeans and print clashing speak of polished fashion without breaking the bank)

The prowess of fashion is in its ability to continually entice you into believing that excess and necessity are one and the same. Online shopping encourages a sense of scepticism which is only combatted by the trust we place in paying for the quality we hope to receive. However, what marks someone out as truly fashionable is the ability to make everything one wears appear expensive no matter its actual price point. So I vow to forgo my incessant price checking and purchase things I like based on the value I place on an item. Isn't mid-way through the year a perfect time to introduce a new New Year's resolution anyway?   

(Images via: WGSN & Unknown. I do not claim credit over any of the above photos)

No comments:

Post a Comment