Sunday 10 July 2016

YELLOW OR BUST?

I am not a yellow person. 

I'm not exactly sure what a 'yellow person' looks like (I guess there'd be some yellow somewhere?) but I'm 78% positive that I'm not one.

Though in true contrary Karen Smith form, I make this declaration whilst in fact wearing yellow. She always was my favourite Mean Girl.

I realise that I have written about my aversion to yellow before, but I feel it important to remain authentic to my current sartorial dilemmas and this one just will not quit. Just as water is wet, sunshine is yellow and as we all know, sunshine invigorates all feelings of happiness. Now, who am I to condemn happiness? 

But the stylistic quandaries of yellow still abound. The question that continues to arise is this: what on earth does one pair with yellow?

Does one need to dilute a yellow outfit with contrasting accents? According to the rules of style by Solange Knowles, no, one definitely does not (see Google search if further proof is needed). However, few are bold enough to attempt a head to toe look that resembles Big Bird so closely. Sesame Street twinning aside Big Bird's commitment to yellow has outlasted many marriages. Despite this I feel that my introduction into the yellow cartel need be more subtle. No orange knee-highs or blue eye shadow for me just yet. 

Then there's Cher Horowitz who embraced yellow plaid with the ease that most people slip on their sweats after the daily grind. Yellow plaid was hereafter so intertwined with Cher Horowitz the character that any adopters of the look appear now as mere imitators of a costume that was constructed to epitomise the ridiculousness (and fun) of fashion (See also Dion's Cat in the Hat outfit and the girl's gym class attire). But I feel the probability of looking "ensemble-y challenged" is just too great.


And so I turn to Olivia Palermo as I do so often in times of true sartorial disillusionment. And I can't help but exclaim, "OF COURSE! Why didn't I think of that?!"  Pairing fuchsia with canary yellow? Duh! And greeny-yellow with blue denim and red accessories? I'm face-planting into my palm right now. My fears of seeming like a human bumble bee evaporate as I see Olivia offsetting her vibrant yellow overcoat with black leather trousers and a chunky black knit jumper. It's so simple. Never fussy. I feel like the Churchill dog as my head shakes continuously in disbelief. Maybe I'm making this yellow aversion into a thing that isn't actually a thing?

Clearly I'm drawn to yellow so maybe I'm missing the point in that yellow connotes fun, ergo wearing it should be fun also. Though coercing yourself into having fun is no fun at all, a little reminder to lighten up is always much appreciated. And so as the sun comes out so does the lighter side of me and my wardrobe. I know that Solange would be proud.  


(Images via: independent.co.uk, gurls.com, ew.com, whowhatwear.com, thefashionspot.com, luxelookbook, stylechi, celebs.allwomenstalk.com & my Instagram (@w_sophia)

No comments:

Post a Comment