Saturday 11 April 2020

411 ON INTERESTING THINGS

Despite this blog being primarily focused on fashion, I always try to ground my writing in the context of today. And whilst I use this blog as creative escapism, I do always try to give a little thought to my surroundings, be that lighthearted pop cultural references or a nod to the socio-political occurrences of the day. In regards to the latter, I refrain from going too in depth as I do not pretend to know much about anything. Even when I write about fashion, it is purely opinion, having no formal training (other than being raised on issues of Vogue). 
However, in these unprecedented times, where much is uncertain and normal life is on pause, it felt wrong to write without acknowledging the situation. And even now, I am reluctant to say too much because I don't know what to say. I go through waves of boredom, then self-loathing for being so selfish, then waves of desperation to see my loved ones, then arguments with my siblings over who looked at who in what way, then great fear because the unknown is strange and scary, then lacking motivation, then self-beration because I am so lucky to have a job, a healthy family, food, etc; it's a bipolar vortex of feelings and emotions. 

I countdown to 5 o'clock only to dread the announcement as statistics scroll across the screen. Of course there have been great feats of camaraderie and never more have I felt such community and that, alongside silly memes and viral TikToks, are helping to pass the time in a somewhat meaningful way. And it seems like now more than ever, time is something that we all need to appreciate because if this pandemic has taught us nothing, it's that ultimately we are only human, fragile and fallible, human.

As a means of distraction for myself, I found great pleasure in collating these articles of varying degrees of usefulness, as my little offering of escapism to you. They are frivolous and I highlight them as bits of fun, not to forget or downplay the terrible time that we're all in, but as a five minute respite from the real world. I hope they offer you some solace. FaceTime your friends, hug your family and appreciate your surroundings, because that is what is truly important. Stay safe

Lounge Wear Down the Catwalk
With social distancing meaning that many people are homebound, sales of lounge wear have soared, as navigating what to wear when you've got no where to go, sits high on the collective agenda. Though getting dressed is a non-necessity, having a routine and outfitting oneself for a new day, breaks up the monotony of home confinement. But whilst the majority don their most pyjama-like clothing, Chanel have released a pair of leggings. Unexpected, yes. Perhaps not so unexpectedly, they cost £1710. The Chanel-centric leggings feature the infamous double C's and multi-coloured jewels, making them (alongside the Khaite cashmere bra), the bougiest loungewear ever. True to the Chanel aesthetic, they were dressed up with Mary Janes and tweed, which is how I'm sure we'll all be styling them - once the money has come through after selling both kidneys, of course.    

Finger Painting
Time indoors has many turning to self-improvement, yoga, meditation, workout classes etc and whilst all very worthwhile, being unable to attend ones general maintenance appointments has a detrimental effect on one's outer appearance. And though superficial, taking care of oneself is a distraction during this time. Lack-lustre hair, outgrown nails and the peekaboo of unwanted hair about ones body are all physical consequences of this current situation. And so self-pampering has come to new relevance. Whilst there are certain things that I would not attempt myself (err, waxing), manicuring is something that I could waste some time doing, albeit with a little help from Vogue. For those less dexterous this step-by-step guide is a good place to start. 

All in the Past
During this time, I have decided to finally tackle the stack of books loitering at my bedside. However, I may have been side-tracked by the common-interest pieces filling up my inbox. One of which I found particularly compelling and truly informative. As many people use this time to develop a new skill, take up a new hobby or educate themselves; I found solace in realising all of the past celebrity couples that I never knew existed - Jenna Dewan & Justin Timberlake? Janet Jackson & Matthew McConaughey?? Fill your time enlightening yourself with all the couples that were and prepare to be truly baffled...

Time to do Nothing
Another article that piqued my interest and took me out of my mundanity, was one on procrastination - which I ironically read whilst I should have been doing work... Now that time is completely spent within the home; work and play are hard to distinguish, as both are spent predominantly at the kitchen table. Even doing the dishwasher has become appealing, as has staring out of the window. It would seem that anything that I should be doing, has now become almost impossible without summoning up the determination of an ant about to lift 5000 times their body weight, and that's only when I'm about to lift my pen to write the date. Read on to understand the psychology of procrastination and how to alleviate the affects.(Or if nothing else, to waste five minutes). 

Out of the Funk 
What better way to end this round-up than with a Kardashian? Though I can promise no drama, no nudity and no 'k' puns. Whilst purusing Poosh (another means of procrastination...) I fell upon an article detailing 'How to get out of a funk' and I couldn't think of anything more apt. Despite being written outside of the context that we find ourselves in now, there are many points that can be put into practise either in the house or whilst fulfilling your daily quota of exercise. Whether it's encouraging a shift in perspective or writing up a bucket list to distract your mind to the positive. Feeling down is part of normal life, however, this is a proactive means of addressing and hopefully alleviating the funk.

(Images via: Poosh.com, @thehangedit, vogue.com) 

No comments:

Post a Comment