Tuesday 3 February 2015

7 THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW

So the day is almost over, but that doesn't mean that you should switch your brain off just yet. Information/news/gossip/nonsense, it's all out there for the taking and I've lost hours gathering the best bits of the week, so that you'll never be stuck for an anecdote or left dumbfounded again. You remember how I consider 'awkward silence' to be the enemy, right?

1/ The Rediscovery of what may be literary gold


I may be jumping the gun with that rather grandiose introduction but I found Harper Lee's, 'To Kill A Mockingbird' a truly inspiring and moving read, and the literary geek in me is beyond excited for this second novel, 'Go Set A Watchman' (which was actually written first would you believe? and was thought to have been lost). Following the now adult Scout, as she revisits her claustrophobic childhood hometown - where her father still resides - Scout grapples with "issues both personal and political". It promises to be a remarkable read.  


2/ The Baby Name Fiasco Continues

(Yes they are in fact laughing at you)


I've always wondered what Blake Lively and Ryan Reynolds talk about. Perhaps it's their shared good looks... I guess I'll never know. However, what I do know is that the pair are keeping schtum on the name of their baby. Though Ryan did clarify that the rumours of her being called Violet, are actually false. Will we ever find out her name? I guess the saga continues on.


3/ It's All In The Genes Baby

(Making the 'Mom' jeans look easy, when we know otherwise)


Hailey Baldwin of The Baldwin lineage, is the new face of Topshop's denim line. Despite questions surfacing as to the difference between the 'mainline' Topshop campaign (fronted by a denim clad Cara Delevingne) and the 'denim line' ad, the campaign has a refreshingly pared back look to it, showcasing Hailey's natural beauty, and perhaps more importantly, the jeans! With old favourites like the 'Baxter' and the 'Jamie' alongside the new season 'Jamie Flare' (a high waisted jean with a slight kick flair) and the 'Binx' (a high waisted skinny with a frayed ankle hem), the nine styles are set to fulfil your every denim whim.   


4/ Bitch Stole My... Hair

(Putting on a brave face considering the copy-cat antics of Zayn)


I don't pay much attention to Kelly Osbourne - at all, no hard feelings or anything, in fact I am opinion-less when it comes to her (though I will admit that I was slightly aghast when she became a constant on Fashion Police, considering her many appearances on the fashion-don'ts list over the years and all) However, I digress, the news at hand here is that Zayn Malik, of that little known band 'One Direction', has apparently stolen Kelly O's hair. Or at least her hair style; both sporting slicked back mohawks. Make of this what you will. Though it's not a trend I shall be championing anytime soon.     


5/ In The Footsteps Of Joan Didion...

(Mac, Alexis Bittar, now Kate Spade. Iris looks set for world domination)


The internet practically broke (sorry Kim K) when Joan Didion was revealed as the face of Celine, followed swiftly by 70's icon Joni Mitchell for the Yves Saint Laurent music project. And now, Kate Spade has cast Iris Apfel in her newly released campaign. (Can you tell it's campaign season?) It's hard to tell whether the fashion industry is truly drawing a line under it's ageist tendencies or whether this is just a marketing ploy to garner attention. With that said, Iris Apfel truly is an inspiration, from her attitude to her style. Check out The Coveteur's interview with the nonagenarian to see what I'm quacking about. 


6/ The End Of Sabrina The Teenage Witch...
(It's okay, Sabrina's not a lump of stone...)

I graduated on to the hard hitting Charmed series before I could reach the finale of Sabrina. However, I stumbled upon what I thought was the last episode a couple of years back and was shocked to find Sabrina turned to stone and left a pile of rumble on the floor. Quite dramatic, not to mention final - or so I thought. I was plagued with thoughts: was this always the end that my pre-teen idol was to meet? Or was this a mere case of abrupt cancellation? And then last night the answer to this incessant nagging was found; that was not the end to the show, just the season - duh! silly me ey. I can now rest easy that Sabrina is O.K - or at least I think she is, I haven't quite gotten to the end yet... 

7/ Sometimes Keeping Up With The Kardashians Is Hard
(It's er, erm, a different look for Kylie...)

So after months of speculation Bruce Jenner's mother Esther, has confirmed that Bruce is in fact undergoing the transition to become a woman. Though none of the Kardashian/Jenner girls have commented on this, there has been rumours of a docu-series being filmed of the transition that will be aired on E! later this year. In other Jenner news, Kylie goes blonde... at least for her Love magazine shoot. And will you check out those plumped up lips! I'm on the google hunt for the MAC, 'Velvet Teddy' lipstick that Kylie apparently lives in, as I simultaneously type this right now. I'm wondering if the secret ingredient is 'miracle grow'... I'll report back on my findings.       


(Images Via: the guardian.com, usmagazine.com, style.com, stylesweekly.com, dailymail.co.uk, huffintonpost.com & mirror.co.uk)

No comments:

Post a Comment