Sunday 1 February 2015

THE 'RETURN' OF THE TROUSERS

Now is it just me or did I miss the 'escape' of the trousers? During  my ritualistic Sunday perusal of Grazia magazine, I was duly informed that trousers are the "season's single most fashionable piece." 'Great!', I thought, especially considering that I'd missed the memo on them even being unfashionable. I love when I find myself sporting the look du jour, purely by sartorial fluke. I'm of the 'wear what you want, when you want' camp, but in saying that I do so enjoy casting a quizzical eye over the seasonal 'It List', if not to enlighten and inform my proclivities, then to appease my curiosity. 
(Gotta love a good crotch shot)

Amongst all of the new-gen tailoring, Springtime florals (preferably red and bold - make of that what you will) and striking geometric (subtlety is over my friend), it's nice to see a sartorial stalwart being given a big high-five of acknowledgement. Even whilst I sit here typing this with my trusty blue jeans on, they pinch a little less than usual and this morning they pretty much cuffed themselves in a Jenna Lyons approved fashion - an unarguable side effect of this theoretical pat on the back. 
(Matching flares anyone?)

And it's not just the denim darling of the skinny variety getting a 'hell yeah'; as I mentioned last week, the bell bottoms are at the helm of the 70's revival. Also the adventurer in us all is welcomed back to the fash-table as the cargo pants make a dramatic leap back into the fold. Great for those who prefer to go hands-free, not so much for the pocket-phobes out there (yes, apparently they do exist!)Palazzo pants signal the imminent onset of summer and the end of diet season - free flowing fabric equals just one more ice-cream... 
(Stay or Go Away?)

But then things took a turn - I wouldn't quite go so far as to say 'worst' but questionable, definitely. Let me bring out exhibit A, 'The Bermuda': the short/trouser hybrid, whose name, rather aptly, says it all. Not to be confused at all with the 90's peddle pusher, these are something else entirely. Also known as the 'jumbo culotte', they are much like their older cousin 'the midi skirt' and warrant the same degree of trepidation before adopting this *not altogether* flattering hemline. Heels are pretty much a prerequisite and make for a relaxed take on tailored dressing. In Fashion Land however, there seems to be a penchant for teaming these shorts(?), trousers(?) with oversized jumpers. Unless, you're blessed with Gisele-like legs, I'd be wary of this. There is a fine line between slouchy and swamped, so be sure to show that there is a body under there somewhere, because as we know, things tend to get lost in Bermuda. 

Now go out there and do the only thing that trousers afford you that skirts don't: cartwheel to your hearts content! 

(Images via: Unknown, Unknown & Pinterest)

No comments:

Post a Comment